Lifestyle Reviews

Mermen for Mind (charity)

I just wrote up a blog post that was more on the humorous side (it will be posted next week I expect) and now I’m taking a complete flip from that and talking about something much more serious. I’m sure you already know but Mind is a mental health charity over here in the UK and Mermen for Mind is basically a calendar creation to raise money for the charity.

Unfortunately whilst the project itself it a very positive thing and raising money for the charity is amazing, it does come with a sad story. The project is in memory of Ellen Scott who was a daughter, sister, mother, and loving friend.

Ellen unfortunately suffered with depression and anxiety, and took her own life in June 2017.

My own health isn’t something I want to go into on my blog, I do see this site as a positive space at the moment. I want it to be that way because I am such a negative person and I feel happiest when I’m writing. I have suffered with anxiety for pretty much my whole life. I have probably had every possible symptom and side affect of anxiety and every single symptom of the stress that comes with it. I was diagnosed when I was seventeen and it’ll always be in my mind doing its thing.

Enough about me, I just wanted to make you guys aware of why I really wanted to take the opportunity to write about this campaign on my blog.

It sounds like Ellen was such a fantastic person who was dedicated to helping other people, especially those who were going through similar things to herself.

And she even had a blog to write about it which you can find here. I think for us bunch who do suffer there’s nothing more important to us than helping other people. It’s probably because we don’t want them to have to go through what we feel. But it’s often the people who are helping others the most that need the most help themselves. In a way I want to bring up Sophie Gradon’s recent death but I’ll do that in another post because this one is about Ellen and this fantastic project her family and friends are doing to help others.

Mermen for Mind wanted a fun project to help end the stigma and raise awareness of the issues surrounding mental health.

Mermen for Mind have created a really fun calendar which they are selling in support of Mind. The calendar consists of photographs of Ellen’s family and friends dressed up as Mermen. You can see some of the behind the scenes photos in this post. Locations used included Berwick Upon Tweed, The Great North Tattoo Show in Manchester, and Haworth village where she lived.

It sounds and looks like it was great fun to make and they even had the vicar who read at Ellen’s funeral taking part which I think is fantastic.

Who doesn’t want to see a vicar become a merman?

As I’m sure you can tell, this calendar is so personal to her family and friends and I would absolutely love it if anybody reading this is able to order a copy. There is no profit being made and the full amount will go to Mind charity. Mind themselves approve of this project greatly and actually placed it as one of their favourite charity projects to date!

If you’re interested and would like to buy a calendar for yourself and support Merman for Mind with this great project then I encourage you to head over here to their website.

The calendars are just £11.24 each.

All of the money will be going to such a fantastic place.

Thanks for reading! I hope you can find the time to head on over to their website and I’ll drop some of their blog posts below.

disclaimer: photos are shot by John Sargent
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

22 Comments

• Reply Gorgeousgsmama

Awww this is such a beautiful thing to do. I’m so sorry about Ellen. It’s wonderful that her family and friends have done something so positive in her memory.

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:34 pm
  • Reply Laura (@dearbearandbean)

Mind is a wonderful charity and it’s great way to support them!

Sep 7, 2018 at 9:18 pm
  • Reply MelaninTalks

Lovely post and well written. You should be proud of this piece x

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:00 pm
  • Reply ChelseaMamma

What a wonderful way to raise money for charity. Isaac loves swimming with a mermaid tail, will show him this as he worries that men won’t wear them

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:52 am
  • Reply jennyinneverland

Awh what a fun campaign! These photos are great! I’m very open about my mental health on my blog so I’m all for any campaign that’ll try and help break the stigma and also raise money for a good cause 🙂

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:13 am
  • Reply Hayley

What a great way to spread awareness. I think it’s so important that people are as open as possible about mental health. Don’t be afraid to talk about what is going on in your mind. Make sure you have someone who you can openly talk to

Hayley | hayleyxmartin

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:42 am
  • Reply Lauren Thomas

Wow this is such an amazing thing to do! I actually hadn’t heard about Ellen which is so sad when you think about it!
    But this charity is incredible and I love that they are helping to raise awareness for mental health! You are also a wonderful person for sharing it! ❤️

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:25 pm
  • Reply Bexa

Merman for Mind sounds like such a great project. It’s so sad to read about Ellen, this is such a fantastic way to raise money for mental health. I love that the vicar got involved too and all the photos are fabulous. Thank you for sharing Vicki and raising awareness for such an important charity <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:53 pm
  • Reply Eva

What a wonderful initiative. I love the idea and will head over to their page to check them out. Some people very close to me do suffer from depression and anxiety, so this is an important case for me too.

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:12 pm
  • Reply Rhian Westbury

That’s such a nice idea and a great way to raise money for a fantastic cause x

Sep 9, 2018 at 8:04 am
  • Reply Batmom85

What a wonder post. I suffer from anxiety and depression. It’s truly a battle. Ellen was truly loved it seems, the calendar looks like a lot of fun. What a great way to honor someone and bring awareness to an important cause.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:15 am
  • Reply Amie🎆♍️ (@acurvyvegan)

What an incredible project by a very important chairy. It’s so sad to read about Ellen, well done for raising awareness!

Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:03 pm
  • Reply bavariansojourn

What a fabulous, and truly important cause. I have a really creative friend who would really love the Mermen Calendar, so thanks for the introduction! 🙂

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:43 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Timms (@TiffanyTimms_)

This is such a fun campaign and such a brilliant idea! Raising awareness and raising money for such an important cause is lovely thing to do so this was great to read x

Tiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:54 am
  • Reply fayejessica

This is such an amazing idea! Raising awareness is so important and this is a great way to do so.

Faye Jessica | fayejessica.co.uk

Sep 10, 2018 at 2:42 pm
  • Reply sarahtrademark

So sorry to hear about Ellen xx

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:09 pm
  • Reply Theresa @ TheCalicoBooks

I’m from America, so I’ve actually not heard of Mind. My heart breaks to hear about Ellen and her family. Mental health is definitely something that needs to be talked about more. I absolutely love this campaign, though. I think it’s a great idea that is sure to bring joy and awareness.

Sep 11, 2018 at 7:15 pm
  • Reply Lianne

What a great campaign, it’s something I feel very strongly about myself so thank you for raising awareness

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:20 am
  • Reply laurasidestreet

Oh my gosh I am loving this creative way to make people more aware of this fantastic charity and even though it comes from a terribly sad story and nothing can bring Ellen back at least something really positive is coming from it

Laura x

Sep 12, 2018 at 3:17 pm
  • Reply Bethany Jane

What a beautiful tribute from her family and friends. I can’t imagine the pain they are feeling, so to turn it into something so positive is really lovely. The photos look amazing too, I will definitely be picking one of these up as who doesn’t love a merman?!
    Beth x Adventure & Anxiety

Sep 15, 2018 at 7:51 am
  • Reply imogenstypewriter

This is such a brilliant way of raising money and awareness! And the calendars will make such good Christmas presents!

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:13 pm
  • Reply vibeslifeus

What a wonderful thing for her family and friends to do, In order to honour her memory! Thanks for sharing !! I will be sure to share and check out

Keeley – http://www.vibeslifeus.com