Lifestyle

The Fresher’s Guide… For People Who Don’t Drink

I’ll probably do a few uni based posts now that Uni will be starting up or even beginning for some of you. This particular one is aimed specifically at people who don’t drink alcohol – or don’t drink very much, like me.

Fresher’s is always advertised as the time in your life where you’re going to get the most drunk, make the most friends (whilst drunk) and never be able to remember a second of it ever again. My Fresher’s week was absolutely nothing like that. I didn’t go out once – not to a club at least, I did go to the pub a few times which was more my style.

One of the things that was most nerve racking to me about starting uni was that I didn’t like to drink as much as other people do. Luckily I was put into halls with people who didn’t exactly go out every night either, but even if you are then you’ll be able to find ‘your people’ elsewhere.

I’m not going to lie, you probably will get the generic ‘don’t be boring’ comment once or twice if you don’t drink, but people will get over it eventually. Honestly if they can’t have fun sober, then they’re the boring ones. I’m in no way against people getting drunk and having fun during fresher’s week but I am entirely against people trying to force you to do something you don’t want to do.

So what can you do whilst they’re off throwing up in dodgy club toilets?

Join some societies that match your interests. One of my biggest regrets about uni was that I didn’t do this and therefore didn’t meet any like-minded people. You’ll be able to hang out with them in the afternoons and evenings. You will find SOMEBODY who doesn’t want to go out drinking every single day. Some of us just want to watch Disney films all night or have a quiet drink in the local, student pub. Maybe in the Student Union – but ours was pretty terrible.

At my Uni we had a Facebook group (unfortunately it was made the year AFTER I was a fresher) specifically for people to organise non-drinking events. Have a look around to see if your uni has one of them, or even create one yourself. If you’re worried about it then you need to realise that other people are too. There are always groups on Facebook for you to meet people in your halls or on your course, or even general ones for freshers. Post a message on there and find people who are the same. Do some sober bonding!

I did drink at uni, I’m not saying I didn’t. But I didn’t drink a lot. I didn’t ever get too drunk. I’ve had one hangover in my life and after that one I didn’t ever want one again, it was just messy and painful. Absolutely not worth putting myself through another.

Don’t forget as well that some people can’t actually physically drink alcohol. Whether it be to allergies or medication. I can’t drink it anymore since I got IBS – I can’t even drink fizzy drinks!

If you do enjoy a good drink then I hope you guys have the best fun too! But please don’t pressure people who don’t want to into it. There might be a bigger reason behind their choice than you think.

Uni is a great decision so don’t be scared for it! If anybody’s starting uni soon and needs some advice then feel free to send me a message on Twitter – @missviclb

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

19 Comments

• Reply Theresa Mazzagatti

Great post! I have nothing against people who drink, but it is definitely not for me. This is such a perfect guide to really help those of who don't drink or party a lot still get involved and make friends at uni! 🙂

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:31 pm
    • Reply missviclb

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't often drink and I don't want anybody else to feel like that. There are many of us around, I'm sure 🙂

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:57 pm
  • Reply secondstartotheright

If I was going to uni right now (I’m not, I’m 26) I would be ALL OVER this post. I didn’t go to uni and it was one of my biggest regrets but at the time when I would have gone, I was a big drinker and I loved partying and clubbing and being out. So I would have really enjoyed uni had I gone when I was supposed to. But I don’t drink anymore, I haven’t since I developed anxiety. I hate the judgement around people that don’t drink, I bet it is a bit of a pain at fresher’s cos I guess the “norm” is to drink.

Jenny

Sep 2, 2018 at 8:21 am
    • Reply missviclb

Uni was very bad for my anxiety (it made me relapse) so that definitely ended the small amount of drinking I did partake in. There is so much judgement, I don’t entirely understand it.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:36 pm
  • Reply Amie Cadwallader

This is such a good post for people who don't drink and are going to uni!

Love, Amie ❤
    The Curvaceous Vegan

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:14 am
    • Reply missviclb

Thank you Amie!

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:36 pm
  • Reply Jasmine Amber

There's always this weird pressure for people to get smashed out their but, especially at Uni. This was refreshing to read <3

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:37 pm
    • Reply missviclb

The pressure is crazy! I like to think it calms down a bit after uni but I’m not sure – I don’t know enough people currently to know.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:37 pm
  • Reply Tiffany Rawling

This is great as there is always so much pressure to drink loads and go on nights out at university. I never did but I do wish I'd tried other things instead. This is going to be so useful to people heading off to uni soon x

Tiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:03 pm
    • Reply missviclb

Thanks Tiffany! I wish I’d tried other things too.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:38 pm
  • Reply Rebecca Elaine

This is great and would have been so useful to me last year as I was underage to drink by 2 weeks which was really annoying.

Rebecca Elaine x

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:28 pm
    • Reply missviclb

That does sound so annoying, Rebecca!!

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:38 pm
  • Reply FayeJessica

What an enlightening post. You're right, there's always going to be someone at uni who feels the way you do about drinking and you end up gravitating towards them anyway.

Faye Jessica | fayejessica.co.uk

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:36 pm
    • Reply missviclb

I read an article earlier that said 22% of 19-24 year olds don’t actually drink. So people really aren’t alone.

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:39 pm
  • Reply Sarah Trademark

I don’t drink but have far more fun than those that do!! Sarah x

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:17 am
    • Reply missviclb

Yes!!!!!!!! I love this comment!

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:39 pm
  • Reply Bethany Jane

I love this! I went crazy as a Fresher and ended up drinking way too much most of the time. The hangovers were hellish and so not worth it. I now rarely drink and I definitely regret not having spent more time at uni joining clubs to find a bigger variety of people who all liked the same things as me. A quiet drink in a pub is much more fun than a messy night out you can’t remember!
    Beth x Adventure & Anxiety

Sep 6, 2018 at 3:17 pm
    • Reply missviclb

I’m glad you prefer a quiet drink in a pub too!

Sep 6, 2018 at 6:40 pm
  • Reply pixieskies

Great advice, I think a lot of the time Freshers is way too geared towards drinking and so it can be hard if you prefer drinking less. I’m more of a casual pub drinker myself, and have found that a lot of people are the same but not always willing to admit it.

Megan // https://pixieskiesblog.wordpress.com/